Sunday, March 21, 2010

Our new Orchard!

Thanks to my mother-in-law, we were able to go up and grab some free apple trees from a guy who no longer wanted them!
We're so excited for the fruits to come in the next few years!
Hubby loading the SUPER HUGE trees onto the trailer! We knew they were about 8 year old trees, but honestly I had no idea they were so large! Look how cute Pierce is standing there eating his graham cracker!
We had to cut quite a few branches so they wouldn't be sticking outside the trailer!
My SIL & MIL digging a few trees too! I love how my SIL always has a smile, even while doing manual labor! ;-)
The new Orchard!
We added 11 trees to the two we had previously planted
Me standing next to one of the larger trees. I measured it at around 11 feet tall! WOW! And the root-balls on these things were tiny. We're hoping they can grow stronger roots and survive! I'll be doing some pruning in the next few days to give them a little help.
This is one of three crabapple pollinators we grabbed.
And the beautiful spurs of the Cameo apple. 
I'm guessing it'll take 2-3 years of careful pruning before I let the tree produce much fruit. I'll be working to strengthen the root system and helping it recover from transplant shock.
Either way, I'm really excited that it's all coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Us

Welcome to our little home on the web! My name is Dani. I'm a wife to a wonderful man I call "Hubby" and a mother to two little boys Dempsey & Pierce. I'm proud to share our family and good times with you all! I'm planning to use this blog as a way to preserve these special moments in time.
To Muck About

1. (intransitive) To do random unplanned work or spend time idly

2. (intransitive) To do somethings with a piece of equipment when you do not understand how it works. (YEAH FUNNY HUH!?!?!)

3. (intransitive)(British) To be playful; full of fun and high spirits

Labels

Followers

Site Copyright
Legacy Site Design